Homepage of Míriam R. García
Wellcome to my webpage
I am a research fellow at the Bioprocess Engineering Group (IIM - CSIC).
Currently I am PI of the project "ControlAR: Model-based process engineering to CONTROL Antimicrobial Resistance for the food industry 4.0" (Web page ControlAR) . RTI2018-093560-J-I00 (MCIU/AEI/FEDER, UE) .
This project is a continuation of "RESISTANCE: Development of models and efficient numerical tools for the control of bacterial RESISTANCE to antimicrobials in the food industry" (Web page RESISTANCE). DPI2014-54085-JIN (MCIU/AEI/FEDER, UE)
You can see below some info about my education and professional experience and surf my web for details about my research, publications...
Masters degree in Chemistry. University of Vigo
Ph.D. in Applied Mathematics. "Identification and Real Time Optimisation in the Food Processing and Biotechnology Industries" Department of Applied Mathematics II - University of Vigo (2008). All the research work during my PhD was developed in the Process Engineering Group belonging to the Spanish Council for Scientific Research (IIM - CSIC). Here my mentors were Antonio A. Alonso and Eva Balsa-Canto
Research fellow (2008-2013). Hamilton Institute, National University of Ireland Maynooth. Here my mentors were Professors Peter E. Wellstead and Richard H. Middleton
Maternity break. Oct 2012-Jun 2013
Maternity break. Oct 2014-Jun 2015
News and Events
- Jan. 2020
- Dec. 2019
- Nov. 2019
- Sep. 2019
Starting the module of Optimization and Control in the "Máster en Matemática Industrial". Department of mathematics, university of Vigo.
The ControlAR project starts: "ControlAR: Model-based process engineering to CONTROL Antimicrobial Resistance for the food industry 4.0". RTI2018-093560-J-I00 (MCIU/AEI/FEDER, UE)
- Jul. 2019
- We congratulate and wish the best of luck to Laura Honrubia. She defended her end-of-degree project to obtain the degree of BSc Biomedical Sciences (Universitat de Lleida) with the second-best mark. Her work was focused on "Optimization of Benzalkonium Chloride treatment in the disinfection of L. monocytogenes in the Food Industry". See document here
- Jun. 2019
- May. 2019
- Apr. 2019
I have participated as a specialist into the 147 European Study Group with Industry. A gathering of industrial scientists and academic mathematicians to work on problems affecting the industry. Our task was to identify control parameters of a wind turbine given its aeroelastic model, certain control logic and measurments of such turbine in operation
- Mar. 2019
I have been assigned the role of MEMBER in EFSA BIOHAZ WG on the use of "tubs" for fresh fishery products (M-2019-0023 /// EFSA-Q-2019-00053).
- Feb. 2019
- Dic. 2018
- Oct. 2018
- Sep. 2018
Attending the Spanish Annual Workshop in Automatica (XXXIX Jornadas de Automática) to present a work in collaboration with Miguel Mauricio about "Computer-Aided Design of Active Packaging/Food System for extended shelf life"
- Jul. 2018
- Jun. 2018
- Míriam R. García will visit the Department of Mathematics at the Imperial College London for 3 weeks to collaborate with
- Diego Oyarzún to control the Morbidostat dynamics
- Philipp Thomas to estimate different bacterial growth aspects using DNA flow cytometry distributions
- Andrea Weisse (NIHR Health Protection Research Unit in Healthcare Associated Infections and Antimicrobial Resistance) to study evolution of resistance in different environments
- May. 2018
- Apr. 2018
- Attending the 10th biennial FOODSIM2019 where we talked about:
- Smart Sensors to assess and to anticipate Fish Quality Evolution
- Stochastic Methods to model Bacterial Growth and Food Safety Risks: Some Perspectives
- Mar. 2018
- Jan. 2018
- Dec. 2017
- Nov. 2017
- The Science Week Eva Balsa-Canto and Míriam R. García with other members of the Bioprocess Engineering Group presented the street fair "the maths that feeds us"
- Oct. 2017
- Sept. 2017
- Aug. 2017
- Our work "New model of ATP degradation to accurately predict fish quality and reduce food waste" was selected to be presented as oral talk in the EFFoST conference
- Attending the PACBB (11th International Conference on Practical Applications of Computational Biology & Bioinformatics).
- Our works were selected for the 10th International Conference of Predictive Microbiology in Food (2 oral talks and 1 poster):
- Modelling biocide and bacteria interaction in chemical disinfection
- Estimating bacterial population growth rates from flow cytometry
- Modelling and identification of relevant pathways for nucleotide degradation in fresh hake during storage
- Attending the FOSBE (International Federation of Automatic Control).
- Our work was selected for a IFAC conference talk. The research focused on modelling cell size variability using flow cytometry and it will be presented in October in FOSBE
- Attending the FoodMicro 2016 Conference. Here we present a poster about designing a smart sensor for predicting cod quality and shelf-life (Poster) . They were very interesting sessions about AMR and Risk analysis, see the abstracts of the conference here
- Jorge Macridachis has started his Master intership. During three months he will model the growth of Lactococcus lactis, one of the most important microorganisms in the dairy industry. Using the software AMIGO2 and experimental data provided by our collaborator Marta López Cabo, he will explore aspects related with parameter uncertainty and optimal experimental desing.